Archives

Monday, August 12, 2013

Wheel Chair Jimmy's at it Again!: Hold on We're Going Home


Just when I swore I would jump off a bridge before I enjoyed hearing Drake’s bland singing voice, Just when I swore I was done with light skinned men all together, here comes Drake with this damn song. SMH.
 
                The third single released from Drake’s highly anticipated album Nothing Was the Same, due in September takes a complete left turn from the lyrical ,shit talking hip -hop sound we are used too, but oddly not completely shocking coming from Drake.

                 Hold on We’re Going Home has a smooth, hipster R&B rhythm accompanied by Drake’s bland, but not so terrible singing voice. The song seems to have taken the same direction of his 2010 Find Your Love track but a lot better executed and no so confusing or boring. As tolerable as the song is, I will admit I would consider this song a complete flop if anybody else tried to pull it off, but the sensitive light skinned-ness of Drake allows him to get away with it. But believe this song is 3 seconds and one off note away from being a fail. Not to mention Wheel Chair Jimmy’s amazing way of making every female friendly lyric sound like a personal 3 am phone call, gives it a chill , “T-shirt and my panties on” type of vibe. Plus the popular speculation that the lyrics could possibly, sometimes, maybe even a little bit be about his 2012 summer fling Rihanna makes you want to listen to it a couple times.

                “ ‘Cuz you’re a good girl and you know it, I know exactly who you could be”

                Drake was reported saying he wanted his new single to be one that could played at wedding receptions 10 years from now. Now he might have been reaching a bit for that one but it does have a “last call” song at the bar type of feel to it. I could definitely see myself stumbling around the freshly lit dance floor looking for the girls I came with and taking those priceless last minute Instagram pictures while this song is playing though. With that in mind, the music lover in me cant ignore and admire Drake's versatility with his music. He manages to stress the boundaries of hip hop without abandoning the genre completely. Hold on We're Going Home sounds nothing like Girls Love Beyoncé or anything else he's released lately and leaves excitement to hear what type of musical orgasms him and his producer 40 have concocted on this album. As tolerably good as this song is (as long as the song doesn’t die by way of heavy radio rotation), I still wouldn’t put this on the list of timeless Drake bangers.


Versace,Versace,Versace,Versace,Versace,Versace
 
 

Side Note:  This song is Rihanna Approved ;)

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment